First posted 8/23/11 on e-CareManagement Blog
This afternoon CMS announced the Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative (BPCII). For details, start reading here.
Here are six quick first impressions:
1. It’s very creative and innovative. CMS has demonstrated out-of-the-box thinking and leaves a lot of room for applicants to propose their own approaches. Expect to have to read the materials 2-3 times to wrap your thinking around it.
Unlike the Medicare Shared Savings ACO rule, the BPCII is flexible. Expect some innovative and non-traditional proposals from diverse applicants. Unlike the Medicare ACO Shared Savings rule, the BPCII invites flexibility in:
- Definition of care bundles
- Proposal of specific financial terms
- Participation by diverse care providers (see below)
- Risk adjustment of beneficiaries